2-8-0 1303 at Enid, Oklahoma on February 1, 1946 (Arthur B. Johnson).
Monthly Archives: June 2018
H-12-44 283 and H-10-44 281 at Tulsa, Oklahoma in August 1968 (Jim Wilson).
Chair Car 1250 (Texas Special) at Springfield, Missouri on April 12, 1948 (Arthur B. Johnson).
Location is Tower Grove, Missouri.
Tower Grove is mile post 3.3 (MP 3.3) on the Rolla Subdivision / St Louis Terminal Division. The tracks on the left foreground extending upward protected by upper quadrant semaphores are the Frisco’s main tracks. Note the “A” or absolute signal in the lower foreground. It protects the M.P. Crossing at MP 3.4. Further west is Lindenwood Yard, MP 7.1. The depot was just behind the photographer. The photographer is standing on the street overpass at the intersections of South Vandeventer Avenue and Tower Grove Avenue.
Crossing the Frisco is the Missouri Pacific (MP or MoP) Railroad. Their Sedalia Subdivision main line tracks between St. Louis and Kansas City are in the upper right of the photograph. Slashing diagonally through the scene is the MP’s De Soto Subdivision between St. Louis and Poplar Bluff. This main line to the southeast diverts from their westward main line at Iron Mountain Junction, MP 3.6, just to the right of the photographer. They cross the SLSF at grade at their MP 3.7. On the hillside on the northwest quadrant of the diamonds is the one story interlocking tower.
The photograph is from the Western Rail Images collection of railroad photographs by Jim and Doug Ozment. This view is from their group of photos titled “Frisco – St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad 1950s”. It is listed as their image number SLSF 106.
Date is May 9, 1958.
Photograph is looking west.
Special thanks to Mark Davidson.
Frisco-built 4-8-2 4421 near Baxter Springs, Kansas on May 16, 1948 (Arthur B. Johnson).
E8A 2020 (Big Red) at Springfield, Missouri in April 1966 (Stanley McCarthy).
4-8-4 4503 at Springfield, Missouri on April 30, 1948 (Arthur B. Johnson).
Transfer Caboose 11628 (Frisco 1341) at Kansas City, Missouri in February 1981 with another view of Kemper Arena in the background.
Frisco-built 4-6-2 1014 with Train #20 at Springfield, Missouri on October 15, 1949 (Arthur B. Johnson).
GP38-2 690, Caboose 1258 and GP15-1 101 at Monett, Mo. in September 1979.
Location is Monett, Missouri.
Image was taken just east of the “new” metal replacement depot, MP 282.0. This is south of the main line near the west end of the yard. The locomotive and caboose are accelerating westbound. On the far right of the image is another Frisco locomotive with a short local, GP15-1 101.
This is south of the former Spanish Mission style stucco passenger depot. The Frisco’s depot address was 403 Front Street. Also on the north side of the tracks were other related railroad buildings along Front Street. These once included the Express and Baggage (323), the Mail House (415) and Railroad Claim Office (505). Today the only remaining remnants are three of the former depot’s concrete platforms.
Monett was an important division terminal and junction on the Frisco. To the east is the Springfield Subdivision (Springfield to Monett). To the west is the Cherokee Subdivision (Monett to Tulsa, Oklahoma). To the south is the Fort Smith Subdivision (Monett to Ft. Smith). In addition, Carthage Subdivision trains entered the station over the Cherokee Sub from Pierce City, 4.9 miles to the west.
The white building on the left is located on the northeast corner of 5th Street and Front Street. The building at one time housed retail stores on the first floor and a hotel above on the second floor. Its address is 101-107 5th Street. In earlier times the Railroad Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) building was to the west across 5th Street.
To the right is an agriculture supply business. It has changed hands several times over the years. Prior occupants have included Whitlock & Lines Milling Company (1949). At the time of the photograph the business was Aggieville Supply Company. Today the business operates as the Monett Agri-Center and Mac’s Vet Supply. The facility address is 601-611 Front Street.
Further in the distance is a 24,000 bushel metal grain storage bin. It is 45’ tall at the lower tank eves, 65’ overall over the head house roof peak. This was part of a larger grain storage and milling complex operated by John F. Meyer & Sons (1910), The Meyer Milling Company (1923) and Whitlock & Lines Milling Company (1949). As of 2017 the grain bin is the only remaining structure of the complex. The facility address was 715-723 Front Street.
View is looking northeast.
Special thanks to Mark Davidson.