Tag Archives: 919

SD45 923 and 919

SD45 923 and 919 Memphis, TN in September 1973
SD45 923 and 919

SD45 923 and 919 Memphis, TN in September 1973.

Location is Memphis, Tennessee.

The train is southbound on the Memphis Subdivision. The locomotives have just crossed over the Mississippi River on the single track Frisco Bridge. Just off the bridge, they have passed the start of Frisco’s two main tracks through the city at Shelco (Shelby County), mile post 483.1 (MP 483.1), but are North (geographic West) of Union Railway Crossing, MP 483.6. This later point was known as Kentucky Street on the railroads to the immediate North (CRIP, MoP, SSW). In the lower portion of the photo, North of the Frisco’s tracks, are three tracks of these railroads.

At this point the train is entering the West end of “Broadway”. “Broadway” is a 2.8 mile East/West corridor of multiple tracks for various railroads extending from the two railroad river crossing bridges (Frisco and Harahan) east to KC Junction. KC Junction lies between Interstate Highway 69 (I-69) to the West and South Waldran Boulevard to the East. At KC Junction the Eastern railroads (Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis (NC&SL) – Louisville and Nashville (L&N), Southern (Sou), and Union Railway (URY (MOP)) diverge to their individual routes and yards to the Northeast, East and the Frisco to the Southeast.

The highway bridge in the distance is the four-leaf clover style junction with spokes of Interstate Highway 55 (West and South) at milepost exit 12, E.H. Crump Boulevard (East) and Riverside Drive (North). The bridge guardrail on the right of the image is over Riverside Drive. The westward bound left hand highway sign notes Interstate Highway 55, U.S. Highway 61 North, St Louis, U.S. Highways 64, 70 and 79. The right hand exit sign notes Interstate Highway 55 South, Jackson, Mississippi.

Out of view to the West (photo right edge) of this location are three parallel, through truss, major bridges crossing the Mississippi River. On the North (upstream) side is the Harahan Bridge (CRIP, MoP, SSW). It has double tracks, is 4,972 feet long and was opened on July 14, 1916. On the South side is the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (“old highway” bridge). This is the most southern of the three bridges, is four vehicle lanes wide, 5,222 feet long and was opened on December 17, 1949.

Sandwiched in the middle between these is the Frisco Bridge. It has one track, is 4,887 feet long and opened May 12, 1892. When completed by the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis (KCFS&M) Railway it was the first bridge crossing of the Mississippi River at Memphis. The three main cantilevered through trusses include a 791′ and two 600′ spans.

The view is looking Southwest.

Special thanks to Mark Davidson.

Posted in Slides | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

SD45 6668 (Frisco 919) and U25B 826

SD45 6668 (Frisco 919) and U25B 826 (location unknown) in December 1980
SD45 6668 (Frisco 919) and U25B 826

SD45 6668 (Frisco 919) and U25B 826 at Memphis, Tennessee in December 1980.

The train is northbound on the Memphis Subdivision. It has just passed the manual interlocking stop sign signal at the Illinois Central Gulf (ICG) diamond crossing at mile post 483.8 (MP 483.8). This is just South (0.6 miles) of Memphis Central Station (MP 484.4).

At this point of its trip, the train is on “Broadway”. “Broadway” is a corridor of multiple railroad’s tracks south of the city’s downtown extending west to east from the Mississippi River bridges to KC Junction. Earlier the train departed Frisco’s Tennessee Yard hump complex at (MP 496.4). This yard is 12.6 miles South (railroad) from this location on the southeast side of the city, just North of the state line with Mississippi.

After stopping the train is accelerating as it continues its northward journey. Soon it will enter an elongated S-curve, passing the North end of the Frisco’s two main tracks at Shelco (Shelby County) at MP483.1. Just beyond Shelco it will go through the Frisco Bridge and cross the Mississippi River into Arkansas.

Note the signal with two elevated stop signs, which governs northward movements on the Frisco’s two main tracks at this location. A similar signal for southbound traffic is behind the photographer. When facing the signals (stop signs) there is a small round bracket signal to the right (on the left in this rear view).

The Frisco’s Rules of the Transportation Department, effective March 1, 1957, Rule 280 includes the paragraph, “When a track intervenes between a signal and track governed, a blue light on a bracket will be located to the right of the signal.” This indicates the second sign governs the second track, to the engineer’s right in this view.

Over the decades there have been at least 3 types of signal configurations at this location. In the early diesel era a locally controlled four sided street traffic light-style signal was located at this crossing. The signals in this view replaced the former in the early 1970s.

In mid-2005 construction started to remotely control this interlocking. New aluminum alloy bridges, cantilevers and vertical masts were erected for the various routes and connecting tracks. Replacement three-light, long hood type signals were installed. The new automated interlocking was activated the week of July 10, 2006.

The view is looking Northeast.

Special thanks to Mark Davidson.

Posted in BN Patched, RT Collection | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment