GP7s 505 and 522 Enid, Oklahoma in July 1974.
Location is Enid, Oklahoma.
The locomotives are in the Mechanical Department’s service tracks area at Enid Yard. To the right the lower front pilot of GP7 505 is the facility’s locomotive turntable. The turntable is a holdover from the former roundhouse facility that sat just to the north. The shop stood between North Monroe Street on the east and North Quincy Street on the west. It was bounded by West Locust Street on the north and West Chestnut Street on the south.
Visible to the northwest are some of the silos on the south half of the Enid Terminal Elevator. This was the first large terminal elevator constructed in the city. It was built in 1925-1926 – central silos (1,100,000 bushels), with additions in 1931 – north silos (800,000 bushels) and 1959 – large diameter south silos (500,000 bushels) and 1987 – north metal bins (678,000) . The elevator is 594 feet long by 60 feet wide, the silos are 100 feet tall, with a 10 foot tall gallery above and its central headhouse stands 190 feet tall. The central headhouse is just off the right side of the photograph. The elevator has a capacity of 3,078,000 bushels. It is located at 1015 North Van Buren Street.
View is looking northwest.
Special thanks to Mark Davidson.