NW2 258 at Kansas City, Kansas in January 1977 (C. Porter Collection).
The locomotive and crew are switching the south side of the flour mill and elevator of Sunshine Biscuit Company/Cereal Food Processors, Inc. (formed in 1972). The facility address is 56 Silver Street, Kansas City, Kansas. This is about halfway between the north end of Frisco’s Rosedale Yard (Kansas) and 29th Street Interlocking (Missouri).
The west mill and six silos were constructed in 1920. An additional six silos were added to the east of the main complex in 1927. There are two tracks on the north side for grain unloading. An additional two tracks on the south side are for flour loading. According to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps additional former owners include Moore-Lowery Flour Mills Company (1931) and United Mills Company, Incorporated (1957).
The Frisco’s two main tracks at this point are running geographically southwest to northeast on the north side of the complex. To the south is the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad’s Glen Park Yard.
The billboard near the left edge of the photograph stands just beside and south of Interstate Highway 35 at mile post 235.4. This is at the northbound exit for Cambridge Circle. This is located just west of the Kansas/Missouri state line.
The view is looking northeast.
Special thanks to Mark Davidson.